Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Got The Bricks!


My pizza oven adventure has been slowly getting ready for some time now. It has taken me about six months to get all the little pieces in place: finding a contractor for the base, finding the source for insulation, finding a source for the bricks, finding a source for the mortar and finding a source for the firewood.

Two weeks ago I got the insulation and signed up the contractor. I got all set to buy the bricks, but they were out of stock! I had my truck ready to go to the place, but when I called ahead, they said someone had just bought up everything they had. They said two week until they get new stock.

Finally, last Saturday, I called the place again and they had just found some bricks in the back of their warehouse. I jumped in the truck and headed out to get them. They loaded 300 red clay bricks in the back of the truck and I took them home.

Its all coming together. The construction of the base will be done by Tuesday, so by the weekend I can start laying the bricks! Now I have to make a trip to Handyman and pick up the rest of the tools I need to get going.

The adventure is starting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great project! I'll be experimenting with a temporary oven and other materials like clay (I'm in Baguio) and rice hulls. I'll be making a permanent oven when the site is ready. Kindly provide contacts for the mortar and insulating material. I've already bought bricks from the source you sent me through philmug. I'm the type who really gets into the process, like milling my own whole wheat flour from wheat berries. Thanks much!