Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2008

Vent and Chimney Done!



The vent and chimney went up on Saturday and the oven is looking ready to go!

Last week (Nov 22 amd 23) was devoted to making the vent. It was actually a challenging task of making the form - masonry speak for the wood shape that the concrete will be poured into - and pouring the concrete. It took the better part of a day to put the form together. I made it using Hardiflex fiberboard, instead of plywood, screwed on to metal strips called furring. Once the form was done, I mixed up the concrete to pour in. I realized just how back breaking this work can be. It is a very strenuous task to mix up a batch of concrete and I had to make multiple batches.

So if you remember from the last post, there was nothing on top of the bricks in front of the dome. The white structure beneath the chimney is the concrete vent. The other surprise for me, was just how much the thing weighed! I could barely move it across the lawn by myself, let alone lift it up into place. Must have weighed about 50 kilos. I had to enlist the help of Rafael and the driver next door to get it into place.

The chimney was much easier. Very straightforward brick laying. A welcome change from the last phase of the bricks on the dome. You can see the completed chimney in the next picture.



This is the state of the oven when I left it today. I finished placing the insulation (that's the white stuff all over the dome) and the wire mesh around the insulation. I also started the first layer of concrete to seal up the whole thing. I had originally planned on finishing the first concrete layer this long weekend, but I under estimated the work.

Mixing cement is a real pain! I mix bigger batches now but it is very taxing. I would have wanted to go on to do some more, but my back and leg muscles were screaming. Oh well, at least this work is not complicated so I can do a bit more at night to catch up on my timetable.

I know I said first week December and I was hoping to fire up after next weekend. But it looks like it might be pushed back a week, but no more than that.

RFP is getting really close. I can taste it already!

No comments: